Apple Crisp & Coconut Whipped Cream
I made this Apple Crisp for Thanksgiving and it turned out so good, I had to share it with you! We also reheated it the night after and it tasted just as delicious, so you could easily prepare this dessert the night before your holiday dinner and heat it up the day of! Just cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. You can also make the coconut whipped cream the day before and store it in an air-tight container in the fridge! This recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free, full of healthy nuts and fruit! It’s not too complicated, either, so it is the perfect dessert to prepare for the holidays or any time you have a craving!
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 tbsp arrowroot or tapioca starch/powder
1.5 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
5.5 cups apples, peeled and diced (about 5 medium apples)
¾ cup coconut flour
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp coconut oil
¼ tsp salt
1 cup pecans, chopped
Coconut Whipped Cream:
1 can coconut cream (chilled in the fridge overnight)
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
Directions- Apple Crisp
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together all ingredients for the filling, except the apples.
3. Once combined, add your peeled and diced apples to the bowl and coat the apples evenly with the mixture. Place in an 8”x 8” glass baking dish.
4. Pulse the pecans in a food processor or hand chop them (I always use the food processor for this- it’s less mess and much quicker!)
5. Mix with the rest of the topping ingredients.
6. Drop dollops of the topping mixture on top of the filling and smooth it out, so it evenly covers the apple mixture.
7. Place in the oven and back for 45-50 minutes. Be sure to check on it half way through to make sure none of the topping is getting burned. If the topping looks like it’s getting darker in some places, press down those pieces with the back of a spoon so they don’t burn.
8. Once the top looks crispy, take out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
9. If reheating, set the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for about 15 minutes, or until warm.
Directions- Coconut Whipped Cream
1. Place the contents of 1 can of coconut cream into a mixing bowl. Remember to place the can in the fridge the night before so the coconut cream is cold!!
2. Add the vanilla extract.
3. Whip on high using an electric hand mixer or a standing mixer for about 5-6 minutes, or until the consistency is light and airy, similar to that of standard dairy whipped cream. It may be slightly thicker than traditional whipped cream, but that just makes it more decadent!
4. Enjoy the whipped cream by putting dollops on top of your apple crisp! It is also amazing in a cup of coffee or hot chocolate!